It’s basically British summertime in food form; I bring you my strawberry and cream cupcakes. With fresh strawberries and freshly whipped cream, accompanied by a hidden jammy centre, these cupcakes are the perfect treat for any lover of this classic summer pairing.
These cakes are super easy, perfect for beginner bakers, and went down an absolute treat with my family. They follow a basic sponge recipe with the addition of some strawberry jam- you don’t even need to make any icing!
Fancy making your own? Find the recipe below:
Ingredients (makes 12) :
- 4oz unsalted butter or margarine (I personally use Stoke margarine for all my baking)
- 4oz caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 4oz self-raising flour
- 1tsp vanilla essence (optional)
- Strawberry jam (Why not try making your own? Find my homemade jam recipe here!)
- 300ml double cream
- 12 strawberries
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Start by preheating your oven to 190C, Gas Mark 5, and lining a baking tray with twelve cupcake cases. Add your sugar to your butter and cream together. Add one teaspoon of vanilla esssence at this point if you wish. Once you have done this, crack your eggs into a separate bowl and beat together with a fork. You can skip this step if you like and just crack your eggs straight into your butter and sugar mixture, but I personally prefer to do it this way in order to ensure they are throughly beaten and also to avoid the risk of adding bad eggs to my mixture.
- Pour your beaten eggs into your butter and sugar mixture and whisk together. If you don’t have an electric whisk I recommend using a wooden spoon. Once you have mixed in your eggs thouroughly, sift in your flour and fold it into the mixture.
- Now fill your cake cases about half full with cake mix before spooning 1tsp of jam into each. Once you have done this, cover with more cake mix. You are aiming to have your cake cases about three quarters full after this stage.
- Now your cakes are ready to go in the oven! Pop them in for about 15 minutes, 190C fan. When they are cooked you should be able to stick a knife in and remove it without it getting any cake mix on. Place your cakes on a cooling rack.
- Once your cakes have cooled you’ll be able to ice them. One of the great things about this recipe is that you don’t need to make any icing! Simply whip up some double cream, pop a strawberry on and you’re good to go!