Hi guys! I am absolutely loving the autumnal weather that’s taken hold of us here in Lancashire over the past few weeks; even though it’s mostly wet and windy, I must admit that I love the evenings growing darker and getting tucked up on the sofa with Jason as it pours it down outside. 🙂
When the weather’s dark and miserable, I also love baking. One of my fondest memories from high school was being sent home due to the snow, pulling a wooly jumper on and starting baking some mince pies… but I’m getting ahead of myself here! It’s only October!
Today’s bake is my lemon shortbread hearts filled with homemade blackberry jam. I’d been trying to settle on a good shortbread recipe for a while, before finally deciding on the one in this post. These shortbreads were the perfect amount of zestiness and crumbliness- and the blackberry jam went so well with them!
Ever so moorish, these shortbreads are the perfect sweet treat to be tucking into while wrapped up on the sofa on these dark Autumn days!
Find the recipe below!
Ingredients (makes approximately 12 shortbread hearts):
- 250g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 360g plain flour
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
- 130g caster sugar
- Blackberry jam to go in the middle of your biscuits (why not make your own? Find my recipe here)
- Preheat your oven to 150C/
- Cream your butter and sugar together. Mix in your lemon zest and juice.
- Sift your flour into the mixture and combine. Use your hands to bring the mixture together to form a dough.
- Wrap your dough in clingfilm and place in the fridge for 15 minutes. Once you have done so, remove from the fridge before rolling out your dough on a floured surface. You want it to be about half a centimetre thick, so 5mm.
- Cover your rolled out dough in clingfilm and place in the fridge once again for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove your dough from the fridge. You can now cut out your love heart shapes. You will need two love heart cookie cutters, one large one and one small one, for this design, though you could use circular cutters or similar to get the same overall effect.
- Cut out 24 hearts using your larger cutter. If you don’t have enough dough for 24, or you’ve got way more, no worries! Cut out as many as you wish, simply ensure that it is an even number.
- Leave half of your larger hearts as they are. With the other half, use your smaller cutter to cut the middle out. Place your biscuits on a greased and lined baking tray (Silly me had forgotten to buy more greaseproof paper for this project after running out… I had to use tin foil to line my baking trays- I can confirm it works!)
- Sprinkle sugar on top of your biscuits before placing in the oven for approximately 14 minutes.
- Allow your shortbread biscuits to cool for 5-10 minutes on your baking tray before transferring them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- When your shortbread are completely cooled, Spread a layer of jam on your full heart shaped biscuits. Place a cut out heart biscuit on top and there you have it! Lemon shortbread jam sandwich biscuits!
These biscuits went down a treat, I only wish that I’d made more! I think this is a great recipe to try your hand at as we lead up to Christmas, and they would make a wonderful gift for a loved one (it’s never too early for Christmas, right?).
What have you been baking recently? You know I’d love to hear about it!
Best wishes to you all on these blustery Autumn days!