Hi guys! Following on from my classic vanilla spongecake recipe last week, I thought it’d be a good idea to share my lemon cupcake recipe with you all! This recipe is probably one of my favourite cupcake recipes of all time, and I’ve returned to it time and time again. I actually made a large sandwich cake version of this back for Jason and I’s one year anniversary; we’re now due to celebrate four years this month.
These mouthwateringly moist cupcakes are filled with a tangy lemon curd centre and topped off with a swirl of lemon buttercream- a lemon lovers dream! Be warned though: these are so light and airy, you might eat the whole batch!
Fancy making your own? Find the recipe below:
For the cupcakes:
- A lemon
- 4oz self raising flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 medium eggs
- 4 oz unsalted butter or margarine (I use Stork margarine for all my bakes)
- 4 oz caster sugar
If you’d like to make your own lemon curd to go inside the cupcakes, find my recipe here! You will need:
- A lemon
- 2 eggs
- 3oz caster sugar
- 2oz unsalted butter
For the buttercream, you will need:
- Half a lemon
- 8oz icing sugar (sifted)
- 4 oz margarine
Method (makes 12 cupcakes):
- Line a cupcake tin with twelve cupcake cases and preheat the oven to 190C fan/375F/gas mark 5.
- Cream together the butter/margarine and sugar. Add the zest and juice from the lemon.
- Beat the eggs in, one at a time, before sieving in the flour.
- Fold the mixture together before spooning into the prepared cupcake cases and popping in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the tops of the cakes have turned a golden brown and you can place a skewer inside the cake and pull it out clean.
- Place on a cooling rack to cool.
If making your own lemon curd, do so now using this recipe.
Once your cakes and lemon curd have cooled, cut a small circle out of the top of each cupcake. Fill the hole with lemon curd before placing the top of the cake back on.
Now you can make the buttercream:
- Cream your margarine and icing sugar together using a wooden spoon, at least until the icing sugar is thoroughly mixed in. You may now go in with an electric whisk to speed up the process.
- Add the juice of half a lemon and combine.
Once you have done this, you can pipe a swirl of buttercream on top of each cake! Ta da! Now go and enjoy your homemade lemon cupcakes!
Top tip: If you wish to make a large sandwich cake version of this like I did for my anniversary, multiply your quantities by 1.5 and place the mixture in two circular cake tins, lined with greaseproof paper. Bake for approximately 25 minutes.
Pssst… If you liked this post, why not share it on your social media or pin it on pinterest?