Hi guys! Today’s blog post is a simple and super cute craft project for all you sewers out there. Draw string bags are a great way to give presents, carry PE kits and store your odd bits and bobs. For me, I like to keep my makeup brushes in one, especially when I’m travelling. It keeps everything clean and prevents things from getting lost (which, if you’re anything like me, you NEED in your life).
I came up with this idea when I was thinking of things to do for this month’s blog posts. My mind went immediately back to my first textiles lesson at high school, where our first project was a simple draw string bag to use as a PE kit bag. I’ve jazzed it up a bit by choosing to line the bag with a contrasting fabric and using ribbon instead of cord, and I loved the result! If you fancy making your own, find my step by step instructions below! 🙂
You will need:
- Two fabrics
- Ribbon/ Cord
- Fabric scissors
- Sewing machine
- Safety pin
So what do you do?
- First things first, you want to cut out your fabric. You can change the size of your bag depending on what you want it to be used for. For my bag I cut two rectangles measuring 26cmx40cm, one from my lining fabric and the other from my outer fabric. You then also want to cut a strip of fabric measuring 5cmx40cm, this will be used as the casing for your ribbon or cord.
- On the strip of fabric that will make your casing, with the right side facing you, fold the ends over by 1cm and neatly stitch these down to create a hem on either side. Then, fold the strip in half lengthways, right sides together, and machine stitch along the long edge, leaving the two shorter ends open. This will create a sort of tube. Turn this tube the right way out and voila, you have your casing.
- Now, fold your fabric for the outer bag in half and machine stitch down the side and along the bottom, leaving a few inches in the side open. You will use this hole to turn your bag the correct way around later. Fold your lining fabric in half the same way and stitch down the side and along the bottom.
- Place your lining fabric inside your outer fabric, right sides together. Stitch the lining to the outer fabric around the top. This will be the opening for the bag. Turn your bag the right way around through the hole you left before in the side seam! This will hide all those unsightly edges 🙂
- Poke the corners of your bag out using a pencil or knitting needle, then press it using an iron. Pin your casing on the outside of your bag, about 3/4″ from the top. Stitch this along the top and bottom, as close to the edge of the casing as you can.
- To help pull your ribbon or cord through the casing, attach a safety pin to the end and feed it through; this will make the process much easier for you- trust me!
- Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of your very own drawstring bag!